- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces, skin removed
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 5 sprigs fresh time
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon [[Jamaican Curry Powder]]
- salt and paper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, coursely chopped
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- generous dash of hotsauce
In a large bowl combine chicken and vinegar, add enough water to cover chicken, add lemon juice and half lemon. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Transfer chicken from vinegar to bowl without rinsing. add garlic, thyme, 4 tablespoons of curry powder, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
In a flameproof casserole dish, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and remaining 1 tsp curry powder. Cook while stirring for 8 minutes until onion is translucent
Add chicken and any juices to onion in bowl. cook for 5 minutes until chicken is browned. Add enough water (~3 cups) to cover water. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover pan and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add russet and sweet potatoes, continue cooking dish for 15 minutes till potatoes are tender. meat should fall off the bone. if pan seems dry, add more water. Mash some of the potatoes to thicken the stew and add hot sauce.