Lentil and Potato Pot Pies with Rosemary Biscuits Makes 4 servings
- ½ cup brown lentils
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 medium or 9 baby Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, diced
- ½ cup buttermilk* (you can reconstitute dry buttermilk, or add 1tbsp vinegar to regular milk)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
To make FILLING:
Combine 3 cups cold water, lentils, and salt in medium saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid; set lentils and reserved liquid aside.
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook until browned, about 20 minutes. Add carrot, rosemary, and thyme, and sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium-low. Mix flour into vegetables; cook 1 minute. Add vegetable broth and reserved lentil cooking liquid.
Mix in potatoes, soy sauce, and tomato paste. Cover; simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, 13 to 15 minutes. Add lentils; season with salt and pepper. Divide filling among four 2-cup ovenproof bowls.
Filling can be made 2 days ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing.
To make TOPPING:
Preheat oven to 400° F. In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Add butter and rosemary, and blend with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk, and mix with clean hands until dough forms moist clumps. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Divide into 4 equal pieces; shape each into 2/3-inch-thick disk. Set rounds atop filling.
Bake pies on baking sheet until tester inserted into biscuit topping comes out clean, about 30 minutes.