This recipe makes 2 single crusts or 1 double crust
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (cold)
- 3/4 - 1 cup ice water
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- stir flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Use pastry blender or grater to cut butter into pea sized pieces
- combine water and vinegar and add to flour/butter mixture. stir with for till dough holds together
- form dough into a ball, divide in 2 and flatten into disks. wrap in plastic and chill for 1 hour
- place disk (Floured) between 2 sheets of wax paper, roll in a 14 inch circle
- transfer to greased pie plate, press into plate and leave a 1/2-1 inch overhang
Second Pie Crust Recipe
Makes 1 single pie crust
Kristian used this with lemon meringue pie
- 1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 4 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, cold, cut up
- 3 tablespoon(s) vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoon(s) (add more as needed) ice water
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt.
- With pastry blender or 2 knives used scissors-fashion, cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle in ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing lightly with fork after each addition, until dough is just moist enough to hold together.
- Shape dough into disk; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- On floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll dough into 12-inch round.
- Ease dough into 9-inch glass pie plate; gently press against side of plate.
- Trim dough edge, leaving 1-inch overhang. Fold overhang under; pinch to form decorative edge.
- Line pie shell with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until beginning to set. Remove foil with weights and bake 15 to 18 minutes longer or until golden.
- If shell puffs during baking, press it down with back of spoon. Cool on wire rack.
Tips & Techniques
For a deep-dish pie shell, prepare recipe for baked pie shell as above but increase flour to 1 1/2 cups, shortening to 1/4 cup, and ice water to 5 to 6 tablespoons.
|[[ http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/steak-and-mushroom-pie-england-recipe/index.html||Emeril’s Pastry Topping]]|
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Into a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt.
- Add the butter and work in with fingertips until coarse crumbs form.
- Add enough cold water 1 teaspoon at a time to form a smooth dough, being careful not to overwork the dough.
- Cover and let rest, refrigerated for 30 minutes before rolling out.