Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- prep time: 7
- cook time: 40
- servings: 10
- PointsPlus: 4
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 lb canned pineapple rings in juice, 1/4 c juice reserved*
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 lb vanilla cake mix, about 1 scant cup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a 9-inch round flameproof aluminum pan over medium-low heat (make sure to cover entire pan bottom). Sprinkle sugar over top.
- Carefully place pineapple rings in a single layer in bottom of pan
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook until pineapple caramelizes, flipping once, about 2 min per side. Remove pan from heat.
- Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter on stovetop or in microwave in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Beat egg with remaining melted butter
- Add cake mix and resrved pineapple juice and combine well.
- Pour butter over pineapple. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 30-35 min.
- Allow cake to cool for about 15-20 min.
- When still warm, loosen sides with a knife and insert cake onto a serving plate
- Slice into 10 pieces and serve. Yields 1 slice per serving.