Spring Vegetable and Barley Risotto
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced leeks
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 lb asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/4 lb sugar snap peas, trimmed, cut in half diagonally
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 1/8 tsp fresh lemon juice
Heat oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium eat. Add leeks; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are light golden, about 4-5 minutes.
Stir in broth and barley, bring to a boil. REduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until barley is almost tender, about 30 minutes.
Stir in asparagus and sugar snap peas. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 3-5 minutes.
Remove saucepan from heat, stir in cheese, zest butter, salt and pepper. Stir in dill and season to taste with fresh lemon juice. serve immediately. Yields about 1 cup per serving.